Monday, March 25, 2013

With My Head Held High

A simple text from a friend is what has inspired this blog post. We were having a conversation about my blog and she said "Do you think you're gaining more self-confidence from eating healthy and exercising?" My immediate thought was yes but probably not what you think it's for. I am open book, you kind of have to be to post your weight publicly for all your friends and family and anyone who cares to look to see. This journey is going to be one of the hardest and easiest I have ever been on.

As I pondered this question it brought up things from my past. I lived in Germany for my middle school years, I was a typical middle schooler. Really awkward and so were all of my friends. Right after middle school we moved to Alabama and I started as a freshman in high school knowing maybe one person. For the next three years I packed on the pounds and became depressed and suicidal. We moved to Florida in between my junior and senior year of high school and I went to college an hour away from my parents. In those times I fluctuated from 170 to 210 frequently.

Confidence has never really been a major issue. I know who I am and I know who God says I am. I don't need to look or feel a certain way to make myself happy. What I do need is to live a healthier lifestyle for my one day future man and children. I need to be the one to set the example for how to eat correctly and not abuse food. If I can't get my life and eating patterns together now how can I expect to set the example for my future family.

So to go back to that text and give an answer, yes I do have more confidence, because my life is being changed. I am exercising more and eating better. I have a ton more energy which makes me a happier person and one who can be better at my job and relationships. My body is changing as well but I take that just as an added bonus.

Don't forget that God made you the way you are and you are beautiful and or handsome. But it is up to you how you treat your body and how you train your thought patterns. Keep your head held high!

With so much love for each of you,

Jenny

2 comments:

  1. This is a really nice post. I have struggled with my weight throughout life as well, and I have found in my college years that as long as I'm being active and eating healthy, I am happier with how I like and who I am regardless of how much I weigh. Of course, God is the biggest help!

    Thanks for the words of encouragement. We all need those sometimes!

    Miranda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you girl. I feel the same way, and am so glad I'm trying to get this all under control now, rather than when I have a little family and want them to be healthy. What kind of example would I be for them to eat healthy foods and be active, if I can't do both of those things as well? Gotta start with ME first!

    ReplyDelete