Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Apple Fritters

Man, yesterday was a good day. I posted about experiencing real Christian Sisterhood and it was something that came from my heart and something that I need to read often to remind myself. You can check it out here.

Yesterday driving home from work, I knew that I wanted to do another baking item from my Fall Baking List. I looked at my Pinterest board and decided it would be the perfect night to do Apple Fritters, especially since my roomies boyfriend would be over to help eat them.

 
 
I have been dying to get a fryer. I have always wanted one even when I was younger. Where some people want new clothes and shoes, I would prefer a new kitchen gadget. It's just how I roll. Well I still don't own a fryer but that didn't stop me from wanting to make these amazing Apple Fritters.
 
Who loves apples?!?! Me!
 
My mom and aunt are coming to visit for a quick weekend on their way back to Arizona from Florida and I cannot wait to have them here. I love my mom and have not seen her since May and she has not seen my new apartment yet. I was trying to think of what I wanted to do with them while they are here and finally decided that we would go apple picking because it is the perfect time to do so. In honor of that I made these Apple Fritters last night. I got the original recipe here.
 
Ingredients:
 
Fritters:
1 cup of flour (but it doesn't have to be perfectly one cup, it can be overflowing)
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 Tbs Butter melted
1 egg
1/2 cup milk (maybe more)
1-2 apples peeled and chopped up into pieces
Oil
Glaze:
1 1/2 Tbs Milk
1 cup powdered sugar
 
First peel and chop up your apples (you can use whichever apple you like, I used Red Delicious) and place them off to the side.
 
 
Then mix all of your dry ingredients together, and then your wet ingredients until you get a light cake batter looking mixture, adding milk if too thick or flour if too runny.


Then add in the apples and get your oil ready to about 350 degrees. Or for me it was med-high heat on my stove. You will know when the oil is ready when you drop a very small bit of the mixture in the pan and it rises to the top. Once the oil is ready, you can use a cookie scooper or in my case just a plain old spoon to take a dollop and place it in the oil.


Once that gets nice and going you can add about 3-4 more in the pan just making sure there is not too much crowding going on.  Every 30 seconds or so you can flip the fritters until both sides look a nice brown color.


Then get some paper towels ready to catch these bad boys and let the excess oil come off of them. I just set mine on a paper towel on a plate.


While you are cooking some you can start to whip together your glaze, or if you don't have enough coordination in between don't worry about doing this until all of your fritters are cooked. I tend to be a little crazy and quite messy when I cook.


Mmm, my mouth is watering now.

Keep making fritters until you have used all of your batter and then they are all done, toss them in a big bowl.


From here you can just pour the glaze right over top of these, or if you are like me you can heat up that glaze for a solid 15 seconds and then pour it all over.


Toss them around to make sure that everyone gets an even amount of coating. Then set them on some drying racks, but make sure you get some paper towels down underneath because they will be dripping glaze down.


You can eat them immediately or let them sit for a bit, it just depends on how much patience you have but it doesn't matter either way because in the end these things are very delicious and just hit the spot!


Don't forget to go and check on my Fall Baking List here. I have already done 4 recipes and many more will be coming soon as I attempt to bake my way through Fall this year.

You can find my Pinterest Fall Baking board Here and the pin for this recipe here.

Have a great Tuesday!

Jenny

Linking up today with some wonderful ladies for Tell Us Tuesday!
 

Much Ado About Somethin

1 comment:

  1. YUM. I feel like I would be entirely too impatient and burn my mouth on those.

    ReplyDelete